Holy Land Church leaders oppose plans to unilaterally annex West Bank land

The Israeli settlement of Har Homa on the hillside overlooking houses in Bethlehem in the West Bank. Photo: CNS
The Israeli settlement of Har Homa on the hillside overlooking houses in Bethlehem in the West Bank. Photo: CNS

JERUSALEM (CNS): “An array of plans for Israel to unilaterally annex West Bank land, backed mainly by right-wing factions, raises serious and catastrophic questions about the feasibility of any peaceful agreement to end the decades-long conflict, one that continues to cost many innocent lives as part of a vicious cycle of human tragedy and injustice,” the heads of the Holy Land Churches said in statement on May 7. Among those who signed the statement were Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa, apostolic administrator of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem; and Franciscan Father Francesco Patton, custos of the Holy Land.

In early May, Israeli defense minister, Naftali Bennett, initially approved a construction project that has been under discussion for 20 years and would see 7,000 new housing units built in the West Bank Israeli settlement of Efrat, expanding it toward its border with Bethlehem.

A new government coalition agreement between Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and opposition leader, Benny Gantz, will allow Netanyahu to present his long-discussed annexation proposal to the government as soon as July 1.

United States president, Donald Trump, has expressed support for the annexation plan, which would bring 30 per cent of the West Bank under Israel’s permanent control, contingent upon the offering of limited statehood to the Palestinians in the remaining territory—something the Palestinians have rejected.

The patriarchs and heads of the Holy Land Churches said they viewed such unilateral annexation plans “with the utmost concern.” They called upon Israel “to refrain from such unilateral moves, which would bring about the loss of any remaining hope for the success of the peace process.”

The Church leaders called on the United States, the Russian Federation, the European Union and the United Nations (UN) to respond to the plans with a time-defined and phased peace initiative of their own based on international law and UN resolutions “to guarantee a comprehensive, just and long-lasting peace in this part of the world that is considered holy by the three Abrahamic faiths.”

They also urged the Palestine Liberation Organisation, which they called “the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people,” to resolve all internal and factional conflicts so it could present a united front “dedicated to achieving peace and the building of a viable state that is founded upon pluralism and democratic values.”

Palestinian and Israeli opponents of the settlement expansion plan say it will prevent any potential expansion of Bethlehem, already blocked on two sides by other building projects in Efrat and in Har Homa. Israel considers Har Homa a neighbourhood of Jerusalem, but Palestinians say it is built on land belonging to Palestinians from the city of Beit Sahour.

The nongovernment organisation, Israeli Peace Now, indicated it intends to file a court petition against the Efrat building plan.

“This is a cynical move by a caretaker defense minister at the end of his mandate, while the nation is still reeling from the corona crisis, to advance a dangerous plan aimed at entrenching permanent Israeli domination in the southern West Bank and harming the prospect of a two-state solution,” Israeli Peace Now said in a statement.

The Latin Patriarchate has spoken out against settlement expansion and land appropriation, including in November 2018, when several acres of its own land in the northern Jordan Valley were taken by the Israeli military. 

In 2017 the patriarchate spoke against a quickly-passed law that allowed the Israeli government to seize private Palestinian lands where unauthorised Israeli settlements had been built.

Related articles
Trump’s peace plan adds fuel to fire Holy Land Catholic leaders say

JERUSALEM (CNS): The Assembly of the Catholic Ordinaries of the Holy Land in the Holy Land called the Peace-to-Prosperity plan Read more

As Covid-19 spreads, not all Holy Land sites open

JERUSALEM (CNS): On March 6, CNN reported that the Israeli authorities and the Palestinian Authority had closed down Bethlehem and Read more

East Jerusalem Catholic hospital gets coronavirus unit for Palestinians

JERUSALEM (CNS): When the Israeli Ministry of Health asked St. Joseph’s Hospital, run by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Read more

Bethlehem closed down due to Covid-19 infections

HONG KONG (SE): It was reported by CNN that the governments of Israel and the Palestinian Authority imposed a closure Read more